Monday, May 02, 2005

Hives are ready - sort of!

This has been a crazy couple of weeks and it turned out to be MUCH more complicated than I had guessed! Both Joe and I have been SO busy - we finally turned toward getting the foundation in the hive frames and realized that it wasn't going to be a snap. First of all we are using hives we got from a friend and we needed to clean them to make way for the new foundation. Lots of scraping ensued. The next problem is getting the foundation wired into the brood frames. I ordered a little device to assist with the wiring and neither Joe nor I can figuure out how it is supposed to help! Joe ended up wiring ALL of the brood frames. I am still working slowly on the honey supers, but it is definitely slow going.

The bees are enroute, so hopefully they will arrive today and the weather will cooperate and we can hive them. I still have to make the sugar syrup to feed them. I am excited about the bees coming (and a little scared - I hope we can keep them alive!) I am not even thinking about the honey - I am just trying to avoid massive death!